Demand from mnogoochkovoy matrix uniform flow to all points can only be, when it is mounted on the press, which is well verified. The stricter tolerances on the dimensions and profiles of thinner wall sections, the more critical it becomes a good alignment of the press.
Poor alignment of the press
Poor alignment of the press, It can be the cause of such problems, as the uneven wear of the parts and damage of the pressing tool. The result of misalignment of various parts of the press can even be a slight jerking or shaking of the ram (in English - popping) during its working stroke.. Thus the press itself adjusts its movement.
General principles of alignment press
Typical general view of the direct action of the extrusion press is shown in Figure.
The basic 3-dimensional geometric relationships between the components of a conventional aluminum extrusion press are as follows.
Reconciliation of fixed parts of the press
1) The bed of the press must be aligned in a horizontal plane and all its support points must lie in the same plane.
2) Back and front crossmembers must be perpendicular to the bed, both cross - parallel to each other.
3) The bush of the front cross member support ring must be centered in the cross member hole, and its end to be in a plane parallel to the plane of the front cross member,.
4) The guides of the container must be straight and parallel to the frame, and symmetrically arranged with respect to the press center line.
5) Master cylinder, master cylinder sleeve, the flange and the main plug must be concentric and coaxial with each other, and also perpendicular to the rear crossmember.
6) The center line of the press is the line, which connects the centers of the front and rear cross members. The centers of all components, which are centered with respect to the centers of cross, must lie on the line.
7) The center lines of each of the four columns must be parallel and symmetrically positioned relative to the center line of the press, and their middle line must coincide with the center line of the press.
Reconciliation of the moving parts of the press
1) The main plunger and ram must move along the center line of the press along the entire stroke length.
2) The center line of the container cavity must coincide with the center line of the press:
- in open and closed positions his,
- pressing at a pressure container, and
- during any working presses.
3) The center line of the pressing tool set must be aligned with the center line of the press at the pressure of the container down and any working force of the press.
4) The workpiece loader must feed the workpiece as, that before loading it into the container with its axis coincides with the central line of the container and ram.
All these mutual ratios of the various components of the press must be performed at the operating temperature of the press, as well as various working positions and efforts ram.
1 - pumping and storage station;
2 - tie-down columns;
3 - device for separating press residue;
4 - front cross member (pressing cross member, front plate);
5 - hydraulic cylinder for container movement;
6 - Remote Control;
7 - matrix holder;
8 - container;
9 - container holder;
10 - blank loader;
11 - bed press;
12 - billet loader hydraulic cylinders;
13 - press stamp;
14 - head of the main plunger;
15 - return cylinders of the main plunger;
16 - rear cross member (cross member of the master cylinder);
17 - the master cylinder
Figure - Typical direct acting hydraulic extrusion press (Source: Aluminium and Aluminium Alloys)
A source: Extrusion Press Maintenance Manual, ed. Al Kennedy