Nominal chemical composition
Chemical composition according to EN 573-2
Table 1 – The chemical composition of the alloy 6061 by EN 573-3
- GOST 4784-97: АД33
- EN 573-3: EN AW-6061 и EN AW-Al Mg0,7Si
- International Registration (Teal Sheats) – Aluminum Association: 6061
- Unified Numbering System (UNS): А96061
- ISO 209: 2007:6061
- DIN 1725-1 (canceled): none
- Thermally hardenable
- It refers to alloys with levels of strength from medium to high.
- Increased strength is achieved due to thermal hardening.
- It attains higher strength, than the alloy 6005A.
- Good corrosion resistance.
- good welds, but it has a reduced strength in the weld zone.
- It has an average fatigue strength.
- Lends itself to be cold-formed in a state T4, but it has limited formability able to T6.
- Not suitable for extruded profiles with complex cross-sections.
- Full analogue AD33 alloy according to GOST 4784-97
- The place of alloy 6061 among other 6xxx series alloys – look. picture below.
- Bicycle frame
- passenger coaches
- sports equipment
- structural tubes
- structural parts, which require increased strength, good weldability and high corrosion resistance
- frame parts, seat rails, bumpers of passenger cars.
Standardized mechanical properties (EN 755-2)
Table 2 – The requirements for the mechanical properties of aluminum alloy 6061 by EN 573-3
Typical mechanical properties
Table 3 – Typical mechanical properties of the alloy 6061 
yield strength 0,2 %
See. table 3.
Elongation A (δ5) – 5-multiple sample) - cm. table 3.
Hardness (500 kgf - 10 mm - 30 from)
- Condition About: 30 NV;
- T4 state, T451: 65 NV;
- state T6, T651: 95 NV.
modulus of elasticitygawn (Young's modulus)
- Tensile - 68900 MPa
- Compressive - 69700 MPa.
2,70 g / cm3 at 20 ° C
Interval melting temperature
575 – 650 ° C
Coefficient of thermal expansion
Linear: 23,6 μm / (m ° C) in the range from 20 to 100 ° C.
Good arc-welded under inert gas, in particular, argon arc welding, as non-consumable electrode (GTAW-TIG), and consumable electrode (GMWA-MIG). Conventional welding alloy - 4043.
530 ° С .
- Rolled and drawn products: 160 ° C. 18 hours 
- Pressed or forged products: 175 ° C. 8 hours 
alloy modification 6061
- 0,2-0,35 % Mg
- stronger alloy 6061 able to T6 15-20 MPa.
hardening alloy 6061
comparison of alloys 6061 and 6060
For the understanding of the alloy hardening 6061 useful to compare it with the conditions of hardening alloy 6060. Aluminium alloy 6060 - an analogue AD31 alloy with a minimum content therein magnesium and silicon. The figure schematically shows the differences required of cooling rates of these alloys for quenching, i.e. creation of a solid solution of magnesium and silicon falling by preventing particles Mg2Si.
Recommended methods of cooling and minimum cooling rate of the alloy 6061, as well as for the alloy 6060, listed in the table 4. As seen, alloy profiles 6061:
- until thick 10 mm is necessary and sufficient cooling, water-air mixture
- thickness of more than 10 mm must have cooling water spreyernoe.
1) Aluminum and Aluminum Alloys, ed. J. R. Quote
2) IN 573-3
3) IN 755-2